Orlando: Tiffins (December 2018)

Tiffins (December 2018) - Fine Dining in the Animal Kingdom
I visited Tiffins for an early dinner on a Sunday evening in early December 2018. Tiffins is open for lunch and dinner daily from 11:30 am until 8:00 pm. You can reserve a table using the Disney app or website. The word “tiffin” refers to a set of stackable metal containers used to hold lunch, particularly in countries in the Far East.
Tiffins is located in the Discovery Island section of the Animal Kingdom, between the Tree of Life and Pandora. The Tiffins space contains three distinct dining rooms, along with an attractive rondavel Nomad Lounge bar area with a narrow wrap-around outdoor deck. I was seated in the Safari Room (with its baobab tree sculpture and telephone wire tangles [which struck a chord with me, having seen such electric wires on my travels]), but I peeked into the Trek Gallery (the most intimate dining room, with its Tibetan prayer flag sculpture) and the Grand Gallery (the largest and “main” dining space, decorated with a wall of giant butterflies, lanterns [inspired by the Rivers of Light show] and Balinese wood pole carvings/sculptures [re-purposed from the old Camp Minnie-Mickey area of the park]). All rooms are decorated with photographs, art, and artifacts from the Imagineers’ journeys to foreign lands during the building of the park (they reminded me of really fancy framed vision boards). African, Indian, and South American music add authenticity to the restaurant. Even the menus are clad in soft, leather-bound books.
Tiffins was one of the few restaurants on Disney property that offered paper straws, so I enjoyed a refreshing iced tea (with complimentary refills) while I perused the menu. My server delivered the restaurant’s signature bread service, but I was underwhelmed after reading positive reviews. (The thinly sliced pomegranate focaccia and olive oil/balsamic vinegar/molasses dipping sauce just didn’t strike the correct chord with my palate.) Originally I was booked to participate in the Rivers of Light Dining package at Tiffins (three courses and a non-alcoholic beverage for $67), but I stood in line at guest services the day prior to swap out the package for a la carte dining. I ordered the Brussel sprouts as an appetizer (this dish is listed in the “Enhancements” section, so presumably you cannot order it without ordering an entree), followed by the lamb shank (served with black-eyed peas and piquillo peppers) as my main dish. Regrettably, I was too full to consider dessert. When my server delivered my bill, he also surprised me with a tiny Joe Rohde print as a take-home souvenir.
I enjoyed my dinner at Tiffins; the food and service were good, but I particularly enjoyed the various rooms that reminded me of my international adventures.









No comments: