Boca Raton: Flakowitz Bagel Inn (December 2018)

Flakowitz Bagel Inn - Decent NY Deli in Boca Raton
I dined with two family members at Flakowitz Bagel Inn for lunch on a Sunday afternoon in late December 2018. I had eaten at Flakowitz previously with my family members who live in the area (it’s one of their favorite breakfast spots), but I never wrote a review before. Flakowitz is open daily for breakfast and lunch.
The Boca Raton venue opened in 1992 in a stand-alone building in the parking lot of a strip mall. (Other locations are in Boyton Beach and Wellington.) Although the restaurant has a good amount of cozy seating (a few stools at the tiny counter, lots of tables, and some booths and half-booths), the restaurant often gets filled to capacity, with customers waiting outdoors for a table. You can also purchase take-away from both inside the restaurant (they have some glass deli cases filled with great-looking savory and sweet treats) or from a walk-up to-go window in the parking lot. An interesting large painted mural on one wall of the dining room serves as the opposite focal point from the deli cases.
Although the restaurant’s name includes the word “Bagel”, it serves much more than that: lots of American diner-style comfort food, some with a Jewish slant (including whitefish, knishes, matzo ball soup). As guests peruse the large menu, servers deliver complimentary marble pound cake squares to munch on. My companions ordered breakfast, but I tried the pastrami on rye sandwich, which is served with a cole slaw and a starchy side (I chose the potato pancakes, served with applesauce and sour cream). Although there was mustard on the table, I prefer mayonnaise on my pastrami (horror!), but our waitress never returned before I finished my sandwich, so I had to make do with the yellow condiment instead.
Although I’m not a breakfast fan, I do like good Jewish deli, and since Katz’s (in NYC) isn’t possible when I’m visiting family in FL, I’ll have to make do with Boca Raton’s Flakowitz Bagel Inn.












No comments: