Orlando: Grand Floridian (December 2018)

Grand Floridian (December 2018) - My Favorite Resort at WDW
I stayed at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa over a 4-night long weekend in early December 2019. I booked my stay online using the official Disney website. My credit card was charged a deposit equal to one night’s room rate. I have loved the Grand Floridian since I first saw it in 1988 when it opened, but since it has always been a “splurge” property for me, I wasn’t sure that I would ever actually stay there.
The resort’s Victorian concept was inspired by beach resorts built on the eastern coast of Florida in the early 20th century; however, the buildings are modeled after the Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, and the Mount Washington Resort in New Hampshire, which both feature white walls and red gabled roofs.
The Grand Floridian is located on the WDW monorail system. In fact, the Magic Kingdom is only one stop away, with the Contemporary Resort next, then the Transportation and Ticket Center (for transfers to the EPCOT monorail), and finally the Polynesian Resort before reaching the Grand Floridian again. Guests must go through a bag check and metal detector before boarding at the Grand Floridian’s monorail station. Additional bag checks and metal detectors are necessary to access the theme parks but not the hotels. Alternatively, Grand Floridian guests can also take a boat launch to reach the Magic Kingdom. To reach the other parks and attractions, complimentary bus service is available.
The Grand Floridian offers over 850 rooms spread throughout 6 buildings: the main opulent signature building that houses most amenities, and 5 smaller buildings that border the lagoon. The outer buildings are named after islands in the Florida Keys (Big Pine Key, Sugarloaf Key, Conch Key, Sago Cay, and Boca Chica). The main building has 5 floors, including its impressive multi-story open lobby area with its antique elevator. (When I visited at Christmas-time, a tall tree occupied the center of the lobby, with the hotel’s signature gingerbread house and shop off to one side.) An additional section of the property offers villa accommodations.
The resort offers several restaurants: Victoria and Alberts, Narcoosee’s, Citricos, 1900 Park Fare, Garden View Tea Room, Grand Floridian CafĂ©, and Gasparilla Grill (In the past, I have dined at all but Citricos and the Tea Room; however, on my most recent visit, I only ate at the Gasparilla Grill; see my separate review titled “Affordable Food at the Grand Floridian”.) Additional property amenities include a few shops, a beauty salon, two outdoor swimming pools (one with a children’s play area), man-made white sand beaches, and a marina. The Grand Floridian offers complimentary music daily in the main building, including a pianist in the afternoon and a small orchestra in the evening. A convention and business center and wedding pavilion are also available.
The average room is 400 square feet and feels roomy. My standard room in one of the outer buildings offered a large closet on one side, and the large bathroom on the other. The bathroom was divided into two areas: one room held a traditional bathtub/shower and the toilet, whereas the anteroom offered a long vanity with dual sinks. Plenty of towels and toiletries are provided, as well as a wicker hamper to contain used towels. The main room contained two queen beds with a nightstand in between, a desk and chair (with a coffee maker was atop the desk), a full-size sofa bed, and a high piece of furniture that held the television as well as concealed a mini-refrigerator below. (I used Garden Grocer to have some supplies delivered to my room; the bellman held my items until I checked into the hotel.) The back wall of my room had a sliding glass door that led out to a long but narrow balcony with two wrought-iron chairs; my room overlooked one of the pools, and it also gave me just the slightest view toward the Magic Kingdom’s evening fireworks. The lighting in the room was great; so many times hotel rooms are too dim for my liking. Although it was just me in the room, I can imagine that a family of four (or even more) would not feel crowded.
I loved my stay at the Grand Floridian, particularly the elegant main building and my spacious guestroom.























No comments: