Orlando: Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen

Jungle Navigation Co. LTD Skipper Canteen (December 2018) - Table Service-Dining in Adventureland
I visited the Jungle Navigation Company’s Skipper Canteen for a late lunch on a Saturday afternoon in early December 2018. The Skipper Canteen is open daily for lunch and dinner from 11:00 am until 8:00 pm (with closing hours extended on certain nights). You can reserve a table using the Disney app or website.
The Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen opened in 2015 in the Magic Kingdom’s Adventureland, and the theming from the ever-popular Jungle Cruise ride carries over to this dining venue. The interior space is divided into the high-ceilinged main dining room (the Mess Hall) and two more intimate dining spaces (the Jungle Room and the S.E.A. [Society of Explorers and Adventurers] Room). Decor includes dark wood, travel souvenirs, books, maps, and a wall-mounted butterfly collection.
The menu features Asian-inspired cuisine, including dumplings, noodles, fried chicken, grilled steak, pasta, curried veggie stew, and so on. With my server’s help, I ordered a few of the smaller plates rather than an entrĂ©e. The cachapas (house-made corn pancakes topped with mojo pork, black beans, and avocado cream), the falafel (fried chickpea garlic balls served on hummus), and the (cold) noodle salad (with edamame, mushrooms, mango, and cucumbers tossed in a chili dressing). I was disappointed that the noodle dish was not served with chopsticks; however, as I was departing the restaurant after my meal, I noticed that another table was using chopsticks, so apparently my server just forgot to bring them and I made the mistake of not asking. Otherwise, my server was personable, helpful, and entertaining and did an excellent job of keeping my water and iced tea ice tea glasses filled.
I enjoyed my late lunch/early dinner at the Jungle Navigation Skipper Canteen; I thought that the menu offerings were more interesting and adventurous than at any other restaurant in the Magic Kingdom.









No comments: