Cayman Islands: Luca (July 2011)

My spouse and I ate dinner at Luca at the Caribbean Club in early July 2011 over the Independence Day holiday weekend. We weren’t quite sure what to expect when we entered this condo-hotel on Seven Mile Beach, and we were pleasantly surprised with the upscale, modern interior of the restaurant, including a long, lively bar and an impressive, on-display wine cellar. Outdoor seating is also available overlooking the pool and the beach beyond. The food was delicious, creative, and pleasantly presented. The pasta is made in-house and available in many varieties and combinations. You can’t go wrong with making a reservation at Luca!
Casa Havana: Cuban Food and Formality in the Caymans
My spouse and I ate dinner at Casa Havana at the Westin Casuarina in early July 2011 over the Independence Day holiday weekend. Billed as one of only two AAA 4-diamond restaurants in Grand Cayman (the other must be Blue by Eric Ripert) and the recipient of many Wine Spectator awards, our expectations were high. Service was formal and polished. One memory that “sticks” in my mind is the waiter offering me freshly ground black pepper, which I accepted, and then his asking how I wanted it ground: fine, medium, or coarse. (Asking my preference for the texture of my black pepper was a first for me!) The interior space is a bit small, with additional seating outdoors on a patio overlooking the beach (it was too hot and humid to eat outside when we were there). The interior space wasn’t completely comfortable to us - the temperature was fine, but the tables were a bit close together, and the sounds of fellow diners conversations carried from one table to the next. The food was creatively presented and prepared using unique ingredients, and I appreciated the effort more than I enjoyed the flavor combinations. But this restaurant is still a wise choice for fine dining on Seven Mile Beach.






No comments: